70 Video Marketing Stats You Need to Know for 2020
I know, I know - there's still a lot of 2019 left to get through, but chances are, you're already thinking about your marketing priorities for 2020. Since production timelines and budgets need thinking about so far in advance this goes doubly for your video marketing strategy.
If it isn't already - video needs to be a massive focus for you for 2020.
New technologies are making things like augmented reality, interactive video and live broadcasts more accessible to creators, which has a knock-on effect for your audience. Your customers not only like it when their favourite brands produce video - they expect it.
This means the opportunity to attract, engage and convert leads using video marketing is bigger than ever. It's time to start thinking about your video strategy before your competitors beat you to it and pinch all your potential business.
Just in case you or the decision-makers at your business still aren't convinced about the importance of a strong video marketing strategy for 2020 we've compiled a list of we think is the most compelling video marketing statistics from around the web to help you out.
The Growth of Online Video
People want more online video
1. 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands. (HubSpot)
2. 56% of consumers believe that a company should have video content on its website. (Forbes)
3. 78% of people watch online videos every week, and 55% view online videos every day. (HubSpot)
Many prefer it to television
4. 6 out of 10 people would rather watch online videos than television. (Google)
5. 59% of people prefer watching live videos online over live TV. (MarTech)
They want to share it with others
6. After watching a branded video they enjoyed, 83% of consumers would consider sharing it with their friends. (Wyzowl)
7. Videos are shared 1200% more times than links and text combined. (Virtuets)
And, it's set to dominate the internet
8. By 2020 there will be close to 1 million minutes of video crossing the internet per second. (Cisco)
9. Video is expected to make up 82% of internet traffic by 2021. (Cisco)
10. By 2022, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic — 15 times higher than it was in 2017. (Cisco)
Particularly on mobile devices
11. Mobile video consumption rises by 100% every year. (Insivia)
12. By 2019, video will account for about 78% of the world’s mobile data traffic. (Entrepreneur)
13. People are 1.5 times more likely to watch video on their mobile phones. (Facebook)
14. 75% of all video plays are on mobile devices. (eMarketer)
15. Mobile viewers now watch over 40 minutes of video on their phones every day. (Quartz)
16. 2% of users watching video on mobile will share it with others. (Wordstream)
Marketers Know the Power of Video
Businesses are creating video
17. 25% of companies publish videos every week. (Buffer)
18. 81% of businesses use video as a marketing tool — up from 63% over the last year. (Hubspot)
19. 73% of marketers created at least two videos a month for social media marketing in 2018. (Animoto)
And, it's an industry in its own right
20. Digital video marketing is a $135 billion industry in the U.S. alone. (Forbes)
Video Marketing That Converts
Video attracts visitors to your website
21. A website is 53 times more likely to reach the front page of Google if it includes video. (Insivia)
22. Video increases organic search traffic on a website by 157%. (Conversion XL)
23. Videos attract 300% more traffic and help to nurture leads. (MarketingSherpa)
24. Of businesses using video marketing, 76% reported an increase in traffic due to video. (Wyzowl)
Helps them understand your brand
25. 62% of consumers watch product review videos before making a purchase. (Mediakix)
26. 90% of users report that product videos are helpful in the decision process of the buyer’s journey. (Strategic-IC)
27. 97% of video marketers reported that video increased user understanding of a product or service, and 76% reported video helped them increase sales. (Wyzowl)
28. 84% of consumers surveyed were convinced to buy a product or service after watching a brand’s video. (Neil Patel)
29. Enjoyment of video advertising increases purchase intent by 97% and brand association by 139%. (Kissmetrics)
And converts them into customers
30. 46% of users act after viewing a video ad. (WordStream)
31. When users enjoy video ads, their purchase intent is increased by 97%. (Strategic-IC)
32. 65% of executives have gone to the marketer’s site and 39% have called them on the phone after watching a marketing video. (Forbes)
33. Companies using video in their content marketing mix show a 66% higher average website conversion rate (4.8% vs. 2.9%). (Aberdeen Group).
34. Using video in sales conversations has seen an increase from 25% to 37% in 2018. (IMPACTBND)
Delivering massive ROI
35. Businesses and marketers who used video ended up growing revenue 49% faster than non-video users in 2017. (Vidyard)
36. 52% of marketers say video is the type of content with the best ROI. (HubSpot)
Video Marketing Channels
Video belongs on your website
37. Including a video on your landing page can boost your conversion rate by up to 80%. (Unbounce)
38. 83% of businesses say their homepage explainer video is effective. (Wyzowl)
39. Including a video on your landing page can increase conversions by more than 80%. (WordStream)
It can supercharge your email campaigns
40. Emails with the word “video” in the subject line are opened 7% more often. (Single Grain)
41. Adding video to your emails can increase click rates by 300%. (HubSpot)
42. Videos in email have been shown to increase click-through rates (CTR) by over 96% on the first introductory email. (Single Grain)
43. Emails with video content lead to an increase in click-through rate (CTR) of 200-300%. (Forbes)
44. Including video thumbnails instead of images in your email can increase clicks by over 21%. (Wistia)
And drive customers from social media
45. Video ads from brands on social media are the number #1 way consumers have found out about brands, even beating out recommendations from friends and family. (Animoto)
46. 64% of consumers will make a purchase after watching branded videos on social platforms. (Tubular Insights)
47. 93% of businesses reported gaining a new customer as a direct result of a video posted on social media. (Animoto)
Engage Customers Better with Video
Help prospective customers learn about your brand
48. Nearly 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store. (Hubspot)
49. 95% of people have watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
50. 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service by way of video. (HubSpot)
51. 59% of executives say they would rather watch a video than read text. (Wordstream)
52. Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
53. 97% of marketers say video has helped users gain a better understanding of their products and services. (Hubspot)
And keep them focussed on your brand
54. 50% of viewers aged 18-34 said they would stop what they were doing to watch a video from their favourite creator. (Google)
55. On average, people spend 2.6x more time on pages with video than without. (Wistia)
56. Because of its visual nature, 80% of users can recall a video ad they’ve seen in the past 30 days. (Forbes)
57. When video and text are both available on the same page, 72% of consumers prefer video to learn about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
58. 59% of senior executives favour video over text. (Digital Information World)
59. Of those with videos on-site, 80% of marketers say video has increased dwell time. (Hubspot)
Video Marketing Strategy Best Practice
Make content your customers want
60. The top three most effective branded video types this year were how-to videos, videos about sales and promos, and top 5 lists (Animoto).
61. Explainers, product demos, and how-to videos are the most common videos produced. (VidYard)
62. Viewers will watch a live video approximately three times longer than a pre-recorded one. (Social Media Today)
63. Completion rates for interactive videos are around 90%. (Business.com)
64. 24% of businesses have used interactive video marketing and 43% plan on using interactive video in the future. (Wyzowl)
65. 47% of businesses report relying on video content to reduce support queries. (Hubspot)
At a length they can easily digest
66. Explainer videos less than 15 seconds long are shared 37% more often. (IdeaMachineStudio)
67. 30-second ads have a 30% higher view-through rate (VTR) than 15-second ads. (Think with Google)
68. After one minute, only 5% of viewers stop watching videos, but 60% will stop watching after two minutes. (VideoGuru)
69. 95% of consumers believe a video should be less than 2 minutes long. (Wyzowl)
70. Average retention rate for videos over 30 minutes is only 10%. (VidYard)
What's clear is that the use of video is already huge, and is only going to get bigger. As technologies develop, and audiences mature your customers will expect more from you - not only in terms of quantity, but the quality of the viewing experience and variety of content will also place more pressure on you to deliver.
Interactive video is about to be the norm - as is an expectation for quality live broadcasts on multiple platforms. Make sure you look into these if they fit your brand.
Make sure you focus on content that not only informs, and entertains but also enriches the experience of interacting with your brand - for many, it is now the preferred way to do so.
With so much now invested in the planning, production and promotion of video content it's more important than ever not to skimp on the delivery. The viewing experience that comes with your video content will become more important than ever in the coming years. As the average consumer wises up and sees free distribution methods like facebook and youtube for what they are, advertising platforms (often for your competitors) it's more important than ever to take control and bring your viewers back to your website.
For that, you need to partner with a professional online video platform.
Here, at Zidivo, we enable video professionals to look their best to their viewers and be heroes to their internal stakeholders, whether streaming video live or on-demand.
Our philosophy is built around personal, one-to-one onboarding where we make sure you're set up and comfortable with the project before you spend a penny.
Our 30-day trial comes with everything you need to get started with streaming video live or on-demand, check it out.
Get started with Video Streaming
Start your free 30-day trial with 5GB of bandwidth